Despite the hardships and difficulties we are facing due to COVID-19 in 2021, the Society continues to make an impact for students and assist in their dreams of achieving a higher education. This year, the Scottish Rite awarded a total of $99,600.00; the Arnold Veague Scholarship Fund awarded $85,000.00 and the Leon Abbott Scholarship Fund awarded $14,600.00 in Maine.
A total of forty-one students were awarded Scholarships comprising thirty-seven Veague Scholarship recipients ranging from $500 to $2,000, four Abbott Scholarship recipients of $3,650, and $20,000 to the Portland and Bangor Children’s Dyslexia Centers each. Of those forty-one students awarded, eleven were from the Valley of Portland!
These Scholarship programs help high school seniors, undergraduates, or graduate students currently enrolled at an accredited college or university pursue their dream of obtaining a trade or accredited college or university degree. One of the main goals of the Brotherhood is to support those who seek to grow and improve themselves so that they might make their family, friends, and community a better place. By supporting educational goals, we are supporting the bright and promising youth of the future. Learn more about the Scholarships below:
The Abbott Scholarship Program: Named for Leon M. Abbott, Sovereign Grand Commander from 1921 to 1932, the Abbott Scholarship Program provides financial support for the continuing undergraduate and graduate education of Scottish Rite Masons, family members of Scottish Rite Masons and members of Masonic Youth Groups including (but not limited to) the Order of DeMolay, Job’s Daughters International and The International Order of Rainbow for Girls.
The Veague Scholarship has the same requirements, however, only Maine children are eligible.
Interested in applying for future Scholarships with the Scottish Rite Mason of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction? Read more about our eligibility requirements below:
- A Scottish Rite Mason of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction who is in good standing.
- A student related (by blood or legal means) to a current or deceased member of the Scottish Rite in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction.
- A member of a Masonic sponsored youth group located within the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction (Examples include DeMolay International, Job’s Daughters, Order of Rainbow for Girls)
- To be considered for an Abbott or Veague Scholarship, applicants must meet one of the following qualifications (please note that local Valleys may have more strict GPA requirements):
- A high school senior, currently accepted at an accredited trade school who has attained a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- A high school senior, undergraduate, or graduate student currently enrolled at an accredited college or university.
- Leon M. Abbott Scholarship Application should be submitted to the local Valley of the sponsoring Scottish Rite Mason. The application deadline is April 1st of each year. Please reach out to the Secretary of said Valley. You can find applicable contact information here.
When an application is filled out, the applicant is able to apply for both scholarships, however, only one scholarship can be awarded to each applicant. If you have any questions while reviewing or filling out the application, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We encourage each and all to learn more about the Brotherhood and consider applying for next year’s Scholarships. Mark your calendars for April 1st to ensure you do not miss the deadline! For more information on this scholarship and the charities the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction supports, click here.
Thank you for your continued support of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Northern Masonic Jurisdiction. It is our belief and hope to continue to help those who most need it strive for greater heights.